Monday, February 16, 2009

on bread duty

Most of the other volunteers I know here have moved out on their own, into small apartments or houses. I still have not and often have conflicting thoughts about it. I have come to have a really comfortable relationship with my host family, in particular my host mother Aygestan. I remember how indifferent I was in the beginning towards her and I couldn't imagine the 4 month stay ever coming to a close. Now I love this woman, and enjoy the idiosyncrasies we've developed. I'm happy how wrong I have been proved to say the least. The other day I was making pasta on the stove, totally stuck in an article I was reading about some mountain climber. I absentmindedly let her chick peas burn to death not even noticing the smell. She yelled at me for being so off into space, and I could only laugh. In the end she did too, and today she put me on bread duty insisting that if I let the bread burn then I will have to buy us a week's worth of it out of my pocket. Today the bread came out perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummm.... sorry about the peas...

Anonymous said...

haha! You and those books! Who knew reading would get you into so much trouble?