Monday, September 6, 2010

rodeo


I am not necessarily on a Texan cowboy theme, but it just has happened that the most interesting people and places I have been around since I've been home have been outside the city where life slows down, and consequently, to me, becomes more appealing. It might be because the rodeo represents a subculture of people, not the everyday worker but people who rally around something and live a little differently. Maybe I'm just more comfortable around a group of people like this, I certainly am curious about it.

So it was a small town rodeo and fair, and it was a moving place - full of teenagers out on the prowl, cowboys standing in line for another can of beer, horses wide eyed in prancing nervousness, kids of all ages just running around. A nice place to be with a camera.

I grew up this way. My Mother was more than encouraging for my siblings and I to get into riding horses, we had at least 4 around at all times to "help us also love them" as much as she did. I am still a little frightened by a horse, but at the same time in awe of their power, gentleness and constant smell.

Of course the workers at the fair are just as novel, perhaps, for their lifestyle choice and pleading with kids to keep taking whacks at a some balloon that will never result in them winning a giant stuffed animal.

I watched this girl's face as she watched her friends ride the Zipper. You should know this ride, it's loopy and sickening to look at - her face lit up by the glow of thrill was too much to pass up.

A great place to be for a night, the rodeo. And no better destination than your own small town in Texas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the hunt rodeo and dance hall...