Wednesday, January 6, 2010

elsewhere

Tonight my neighbor Hranush's mother passed away - and while the body rests on top of a table inside with candles and cloth, the coffin stands outside in the snow to signify a death in the house. She had come over to tell me she thought tonight would be the night, and so I went over there to try to say my goodbyes - she was a fiery woman. It wasn't 10 minutes later that she let go. And while people were crying and singing, an infant on the floor starting playing hide and seek on his own trying to get me to notice him, giggling and smiling. As untimely a moment as it was, I like to think that there was a current of life sweeping by - celebrating somehow.

4 comments:

Sean Fredericks said...

Gorgeous pictures and wonderful blog. What kind of camera do you use? My wife and I have been nominated for Armenia, Georgia or Azerbaijan, and have just completed our medical clearance. Hopefully soon we'll find out when/where we're heading...

circle me confused said...

Sean,
That's awesome! I knew nothing about this region until I came, and I think it's really interesting now - very few people travel this way. I have a Canon EOS 30D but wish I had something smaller like a G9 or G10 even, to abate the attention it gets. Georgia is gorgeous, Azerbaijan is more oriental than the others because it's Muslim, and Armenia is just a good place to call home. I wish you an amazing journey, and hope you find the experience to be just what you needed.
Paige

Sean Fredericks said...

Paige,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I didn't expect that... you must have pretty regular internet access over there? We're hoping that we have internet access so we can keep in touch with people and blog, but I know it kinda depends on where you are in the country (assuming we do go to one of those countries).

Duff said...

What visualization you gave in words alone! Great pic also. Not many get to witness such holy moments in the cycle of life.