Friday, January 15, 2010

school


Just by default, I help teach English with a local teacher at my school. I don't really mind it - but working in the schools here is tough. My first day I cried, called my Mom and couldn't believe how out of control it was. Now I'm pretty used to the level of discipline and chaos that I'd probably invite my Granny in to come see me there as I help teach. In general, the education system here is abysmal - from teachers' level of interest in teaching to the corrupt grading style. But so it goes. I tried to get some decent audio of the English class I go to - 7th grade. It just so happens that they were talking about punishment in schools that day; the irony. I've seen kids' pencils, protractors and books broken to pieces and scattered all over the room - and much more. It's not fair to compare what exists here and what I experienced as a child in school, but sometimes it's just all that comes to mind.

1 comment:

Karen Jane said...

Goodness...