Thursday, May 20, 2010

the chickens

Her husband died years ago, and she has been helping raise her son's children and tending to the chickens and garden since. Her family says she has made pets out of the chickens, talks to them and spends more time than is really necessary feeding and what not. Widows and widowers don't remarry in this country, what was once was once. Anyone with a heart can put this story together. I've always liked barns and farm animals, hope to have my own someday too, and so I didn't mind helping her out this evening getting the 37 chickens back in their coop. And I don't think she minded the attention either, as she told me all about them and let me take her photo.

4 comments:

duff said...

I hope you are able to do the same too. To experience nurturing family AND the animals, well, all I can say is: Life is good.

Brent said...

your writing on the people in your pictures are getting more touching, and even more sad. I'm glad you are slowly saying goodbye in photos. It's kind of excruciating, but it's also a beautiful tribute.

Anonymous said...

love your blog. But your statement is very general and not true at all. It's actually very common for Armenian widows and widowers to get married.

circle me confused said...

i've never been privy to that in the two years here. that may be the case, but i still don't think it's as common as you say. thanks for the comments though, i appreciate outside opinions and responses always.